Affiliated with

Housing Advice

General Advice

There are a number of good, specialist sources of information on renting in the private sector.

Dundee University Students’ Association (DUSA) provide advice aimed at Students renting in the private sector:

Renting Scotland provide general advice to all those renting in Scotland, and are supported by Shelter Scotland.

Should you encounter difficulties in your tenancy you can contact a large number of sources of advice. You should contact the Private Sector Services Unit at Dundee City Council. Call 01382 435406 or 01382 435407 to speak to a member of the team.  For further information see the Private Sector Services website

If you are a student at the University of Dundee, we would recommend you speak to the Student Legal Adviser at DUSA (email: 

You may also wish to contact Shelter Scotland or your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau. Students at both Abertary University and the University of Dundee, can book CAB appointments in the Enquiry Centre.

Making a Complaint about your Landlord/Agent

If you believe your Landlord/Agent has broken the terms of the Dundee Student Homes Standard you must first identify which clauses have been broken. Students at Abertay University MUST contact the Residences team, and students at the University of Dundee MUST contact the Student Legal Adviser in DUSA before completing the complaint form, and submitting it by email

The Complaints Process outlines the steps that you must take before a complaint will be assessed. 


You should also contact the Private Sector Services Unit at Dundee City Council. Call 01382 435406 or 01382 435407 to speak to a member of the team.  For further information see the Private Sector Services website

Know Your Rights: Tenancies in Scotland

All new tenancies in Scotland are Private Residential Tenancies unless you live in: Council-owned accommodation, purpose-built student accommodation with more than 30 bedrooms, or you are "lodging" in someone's home.

Private Residential Tenancies involve significant changes to the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants. Shelter Scotland and the Scottish government have worked together to produce a quick video guide to the new tenancies, and there is even a model tenancy which landlords can copy. 

Some of the most important things you need to know are:

  • The contract is open-ended. It is up to you when the tenancy ends.
  • You can end the tenancy whenever you like as long as you give at least 28 days’ notice. If you have signed a joint tenancy, you must all sign the notice to leave.
  • Some landlords may ask you to sign an advanced notice to leave at the same time you sign the contract. That’s not OK! The landlord has 18 grounds of eviction to ask you to leave, and they must give you at least 28 days’ notice. You can find them at
  • Rent can only be increased once every 12 months, and your landlord must give you at least 3 months’ notice. If you believe a rent increase is unfair for the type and location of your property, you should speak to the Council's Rent Officer. 
  • The landlord should give you 48 hours’ notice if they want to visit or carry out repairs. Unless it is an emergency.
  • You must get written permission from your landlord if someone comes to live with you as a lodger/tenant/partner.
Schooling and Nurseries

Information on schooling and nurseries in Dundee can be found on the Dundee City Council website: 


In Scotland, schools are inspected by Education Scotland/Foghlam Alba and reports of school inspections can be found at:  


If you are a student or member of staff at the University of Dundee, there is a University Nursery on the city campus available to you. Further information can be found at   


Further information on studying with children can be found at:

Please Wait...